Hi Vegetarian Carnivores! Janani here, and I am back with a delicious whole food plant based recipe. This recipe is adapted from BOSH’s delicious loaded sweet potato recipe, and I changed it up a bit to create what I am about to share with you. This recipe looks complicated but is actually a very simple and quick procedure. And as an added bonus, there are just two dishes used, so you’re clean up process is going to be a piece of cake! You know I am all about the delicious food without using 1000 dishes and utensils, so if you resonate with this leave me a comment! But let’s get started on my version of vegan stuffed sweet potatoes!
Now I already told you that this recipe is the epitome of whole foods plant based, but I want to take the opportunity here to really explain just how nourishing the ingredients used for this dish are.
First, sweet potatoes! I love sweet potatoes, not just for its taste, but also for its nutritional content. As a plant based nutrition coach I totally marvel at its vitamin A content and phytonutrients. 1 medium sweet potato is around 2 cups. For reference, 1 cup of sweet potato has almost 7 grams of fiber and about 750% daily nutritional content of Vitamin A, not to mention B6 and micro minerals, AND 4 GRAMS PROTEIN! Talk about a nutritional powerhouse!
Next, avocado! Full of water AND fat soluble vitamins, as well as heart healthy unsaturated fats, it is an amazing and filling addition to almost anything in your diet. For this recipe, it pairs amazingly with sweet potato.
Lastly, black beans! They are such a great source of complex carbs and fiber and protein, which fill you up and help prevent those pesky cravings.
Ok, nerdy ranting over. LOL
Let’s get started!
Ingredients (for 3 servings)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 red or green chili, according to spice preference (can also sub 2 tsp red chili flakes!)
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat sweet potatoes and bake for 15 minutes-20 minutes, until a fork pierces through.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, combine all other ingredients together in a bowl and mash well with a fork until well combined.
- Take sweet potatoes out of oven and slice down the middle. Scrape the insides to mess up a little.
- Scoop a heaping amount of filling into the sweet potato.
This incredibly tasty and wholesome meal provides ALL angles of nutrition: protein, carbs, and fat! As well as micro nutrition to really nourish your body. Tell me below how much you love sweet potatoes! I always love to hear from my readers <3
See you soon!
Janani <3 <3