Hi Vegetarian Carnivores! Today I am so excited to bring you my Super Bowl Game Day mega indulgent snack, aka my vegan spinach artichoke dip! This recipe has been a long time coming, as this traditional dip was a childhood favorite for as long as I can remember. I still daydream about BJ’s Restaurant’s version of this.
I knew I had to make a wholesome plant based version of it. And what better way to inaugurate this delicious recipe than on Game Day! I served it alongside the non vegan stuff and literally everyone was FLOORED when they found out there was no cheese! I literally had someone come to me and say “this is so good, I can literally taste the cheese wow.” And don’t worry – this recipe will be just as tasty even if you don’t have it on a game day 😉
The big secret
The trick to an amazing spinach artichoke dip is the base. The smoother and thicker the base, the better. For this recipe, I used a creamy homemade cashew base, with a few simple additions. To get a really creamy and smooth cashew blend, you are going to need to do one of two things.
1. You can soak your cashews in water for 4 hours or overnight.
2. If you are pressed for time, pour boiling water over the cashews and let it sit for half an hour.
Now, I highly recommend not skipping the soaking step because once the water gets into the cashews, they will swell and become much more workable in the blender. Or else you’ll end up with super grainy cheese sauce.
The spinach and the artichoke
Ah, two of my favorite foods in the world. These are two absolutely wholesome vegetables that have distinct flavors and textures. The creaminess of the cashew sauce is going to perfectly contrast the distinct chunks of spinach and artichoke in every single bite. And with the slight tang of lemon juice, it is nothing short of glorious.
I used Follow Your Heart’s vegan parmesan and Daiya’s vegan mozzarella shreds to supplement the cashew sauce in this recipe. You can feel free to leave them out if you have a hard time finding them in the store (Whole Foods is the only retailer that consistently has them, in my experience). But do use them if you can, because they add to the extra creaminess and nutty texture we all love from cheese.
Ok, so without further ado, vegan spinach artichoke dip!
Ingredients (for 10 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked according to suggestions above and then drained
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cups non dairy milk (I used Ripple)
- 1/2 packet Daiya vegan mozzarella shreds
- Vegan Parmesan, to sprinkle
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pack store bought chopped frozen spinach
- 2 cans chopped artichokes, drained and rinsed, and roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, combine cashews, milk, and nutritional yeast and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, saute garlic, onion, spinach, and artichokes until spinach completely cooks through.
- Pour cashew cream into saucepan and turn heat to medium high. Stir for 5 minutes until mixture bubbles.
- Mix in vegan mozzarella for extra creaminess and keep mixing until completely melted in.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into an oven safe dish and sprinkle parmesan, if desired.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, and broil at 525 degrees for an additional 5-7 minutes until parmesan begins to brown.
- Let dip cool slightly.
- Enjoy immediately! Or store for up to 4 days.
This was hands down one of the BEST vegan cheese recipes I have ever created. I am super proud of it and excited to see all your renditions of it! Drop me a comment below or message me on social media with your wonderful pictures!
See you soon!
Janani <3 <3