Hello Vegetarian Carnivores! I have been receiving SO much love and support from all of you during this quarantine, with so much engagement and support for my easy pantry recipes. I also have some exciting news coming out real soon: I am almost ready to launch my course! But enough of that for now. Today, let’s get into two more sweet potato recipes! Let’s check out my easy vegan stuffed sweet potatoes.
As you all know (or if you don’t then check it out here), I love sweet potatoes! And I actually posted a recipe for a guacamole type filling stuffed sweet potato recipe a few weeks ago. That recipe got so much love, so I decided to make another one, with not one, but TWO amazing and delicious fillings.
And the best part? None of the ingredients are crazy difficult to find, so it is perfect quarantine food, and sweet potatoes stay good for a dang long time! So no need to worry about eating them within a few days of buying them.
I think a lot of us are suffering from the “is it hunger or is it boredom” disease while we are locked down. I mean, I literally walk to the kitchen every half an hour because I sometimes have nothing more to do! And that causes all kinds of annoying binge eating, overly salty processed food consumption. And then you feel gross and bloated. Sound familiar?
But not to worry, because these stuffed sweet potatoes have got you covered on all fronts. The sweet potato itself has complex carbs, fiber, and starches that fill you up and keep you full! And the fillings, one made with black beans and avocado, and the other made with curried chickpeas, add to the protein and healthy fat content of this dish.
I’m telling you: as a girl who can tuck away an entire bowl of pho at a restaurant (broth included!), I could barely eat half of each kind of stuffed sweet potato. And I didn’t snack all day. So there’s the proof that this amazing dish can stave off any mindless snacking, while being super delicious on the way down!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
Ingredients (for Indian style filling)
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (can sub cayenne if desired)
- Oil, for sauteing
- Cilantro, to garnish
Ingredients (for Mexican style filling)
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 2 adobo chili peppers
- 1 tbsp adobo chili sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Vegan cream (I used Tofutti, but this is completely optional)
- Brush sweet potatoes with oil and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 min. Pierce with toothpick all the way through to make sure it is done. Cut a slit down the middle of each sweet potato and splay them open.
- For the Indian filling
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add the chickpeas. Let them roast until crispy (around 5-7 minutes)
- Add the tumeric, coriander, cumin, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt and keep mixing well.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the sweet potato.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- For the Mexican filling
- In a bowl, combine black beans, avocado, adobo peppers, adobo sauce, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into sweet potato.
- Garnish with vegan cream and cilantro.
These stuffed sweet potatoes are absolutely delicious and simple to make. I hope you try them out and leave me your comments below! You know I always love to hear from you 🙂
Until next time!
See you soon
Janani <3 <3