Hi Vegetarian Carnivores! One of the foods I missed the most when I cut out most dairy and eggs from my diet was In N Out’s famous Animal Style sauce. I would get a grilled cheese animal style with animal style fries. And it was my go to comfort food for literally everything. When I stopped eating In N Out, I just couldn’t shake the craving. So I decided to make it on my own! No sacrifice on taste, and no compromise on ethics or health. So today I present to you my master recipe for a vegan animal style burger, complete with the whole nine yards of animal spread and vegan patty and vegan cheese!
In N Out Style
To make this recipe I had to really think down into “what makes an In N Out burger so special?” And I just kept coming back to that magical animal style spread. I mean, anyone can take a patty and slap it between two slices of a bun and call it a day. But what I found really *addicting* about In N Out’s style of preparing food was their secret spread.
So I began running searches on Google for copy cat recipes, and once I found a few, I made it into my own and veganized it! I hope you all enjoy it!
The Actual Spread
So the real magic of the spread lies in its tanginess, mixed in with the slight crunch from pickles. Mix that with the sweet goodness from Ketchup and the coarse texture from just a hint of ground mustard, and we’ve got a winner. I used dill relish in this recipe, though you can use sweet pickle relish if you like. I just like dill relish a lot!
- 1 Beyond Burger patty
- 1 bun, dry sauteed to crisp up edges (optional)
- 2 slices Daiya American style cheese
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 slice tomato
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp dill relish
- 1 tsp dill relish juice
- 1 tsp coarse mustard
- In a skillet, caramelize the onions. This should take 5-7 minutes on medium low heat and the end result should be darkish brown.
- Cook the vegan patty according to instructions.
- When the patty is done cooking, place the cheese over it and cover to help it melt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the vegan mayo, ketchup, dill relish, dill relish juice, and mustard and mix well.
- Layer the patty with cheese on bun, followed by onion, and spread the animal style sauce on the other side of bun.
This recipe has been SUCH a lifesaver for when I want an indulgent cheat meal, but don’t want to fall back into old habits. Whole food plant based is great and I enjoy that 80% of the time, but vegan junk food should not be overlooked! 😉 I hope you all enjoy making and enjoying this as much as I do! Drop me a comment below and tell me how much you love In N Out!
See you soon!
Janani <3 <3