Hi Vegetarian Carnivores! It’s so good to have you back on my blog! Today’s post will be the kick-off to my summer series, where I will be sharing the best plant based and plant focused recipes to prepare you for the heat, as well as all the delicious summer night potlucks that you will be attending. I am going to show you how to veganize a crowd favorite today: creamy macaroni salad.
Most commonly made with mayonnaise and boiled egg, a lot of plant based eaters struggle with recreating this delicious summer dish. Many people even find themselves without any options at potlucks because everything has dairy or mayo.
But not to worry! I’ve totally got you with this macaroni salad, which people will not even guess is vegan if you don’t tell them. Let’s go over some of our delicious substitutions. We will be using vegan mayo, or veganaise to sub out for mayo, but I bet you already knew that. Our really surprising substitution is our egg substitute: tofu! And not just any kind of tofu- I am talking soft tofu, the kind that just barely holds its shape but can be smushed in your hand. This mirrors the texture of your hard boiled egg so well that once we dress up the salad with all the condiments, it is impossible to even make out the difference!
So let’s get started!
- 1/2 lb uncooked macaroni, cooked to package instructions
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into small chunks
- handful of soft tofu, crushed/crumbled – this will be the hard boiled egg sub!
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise, I love Best Foods and Follow your Heart(if you are reducing your soy consumption)
- 1/2 cup mustard (you can use regular mustard but I love truffle flavor!)
- 1/3 cup dill relish
- 1 tbsp dill relish juice
- Thyme, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and mix with the macaroni! Garnish with thyme and some vegan cheddar shreds!
- Enjoy your seriously sexy plant based macaroni salad!
Isn’t this the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? It’s colorful, full of different textures and flavors. It is absolutely gorgeous and so simple to make, once you rally the ingredients! Vegan or not, I encourage all my readers to go ahead and give this beauty a try. You will not be disappointed!
See you soon!
Janani <3 <3