Hi vegetarian carnivores! If you have been following me and this blog’s journey for a while now, you know how obsessed I am with noodles and soup and noodle soup. I even went as far as to make a vegan pho, complete with an Instant Pot overnight slow cooked mushroom and onion broth. My recipe for you today is another noodle soup – a delicious vegan udon!
Three cheers for noodle soups!
I absolutely love different kinds of noodles and the unique texture of each. Thin rice noodles taste different from thick cut rice noodles, which taste different from udon, which tastes different from cold soba, and so on and so forth. It is truly amazing to see what permutations and combinations we can experiment with, using the same general concept: long spirals of some flour or wheat.
The (very simple) magic!
Today, for this simple udon recipe, I am going to walk you through a minimal involvement method that will yield you a delicious udon soup in less than one hour, thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot! Don’t worry if you don’t have one- you can use the stove on medium high heat and just cover it during the broth making stage and just keep an eye on it intermittently.
You’re going to wash and squeeze as much moisture as you can out of shiitake mushrooms. Then we are going to combine them with fresh spring onions and soy sauce to create our deep and flavorful soup broth. Fast forward 45 minutes and we add in our tofu, fresh udon noodles, and baby bok choy and set the timer for 10-15 minutes. And presto! Your delicious udon is ready to enjoy! Feel free to customize it and make it spicy, by adding some fresh chili paste 😉
This soup is so easy to make and comes out great every time. Try it for yourself to find out 😉
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 6 cups of water
- Fresh or dried udon noodles (enough for 4)
- 8-10 large shiitake mushrooms (washed, squeezed, and sliced)
- 3-4 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, plus more for adjusting taste
- Handful of baby bok choy, separated
- 6-8 oz soft tofu (usually half of the standard pack size)
- Chili paste, to taste
- Fill Instant Pot with water and combine mushrooms, soy sauce, and spring onions. Close lid and slow cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Open lid after time is up and add in noodles, baby bok choy, and soft tofu. Close lid and slow cook on high for 10-15 minutes.
- Open lid, serve, add chili paste if you want, and enjoy!
Like I said, this easy dish is a winner every time! In my opinion, all noodle soups are winners all the time. LOL
And now, like always, I want to know what YOU think! Give this a go and I can’t wait to see your results!
See you soon,
Janani <3 <3